How your power level works and how to increase it.
Guideby chris tapsell review editor
additional contributions from
- mateo reynolds
power levelis a rather unique version of leveling up and measuring your progress in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, which works differently thanlevel systemfrom previous entries.
Your power level is closely tied to your abilities this time, unlike equipment, and whileExpplays a role, there are possibly more important things to consider.
With that said, below we'll explain everything you need to know about how leveling works in Valhalla, including themax level capand anything else worth mentioning.
- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla level system explained: how does your power level work?
- How to increase your power level in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
- How to get XP fast in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
- What is the maximum level cap in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla?
If you're looking for more explanations or things to collect, check out our lists oftreasure mapsmiBook of knowledge and skills locations..
Assassin's Creed: Valhalla level system explained: how does your power level work?
As in other Assassin's Creed games, as you explore the world you'll notice that each region has a recommended power level, often at the start of the game well above yours. But unlike other Assassin's Creed games, or even other RPGs, your power level is not affected by your gear.
Instead, the power level in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla represents how many skill points you've earned, or more specifically: it's only determined by how many skill points you've allocated to Eivor's skill tree.
Just to be clear, skill points only count towards your power level when they're allocated, not just once you earn them, so if you're at power level 32 and gain two more skill points to fill your bar of XP, you are still at level 32 until you assign them. those two skill points in the skill tree. Increasing your power level means gaining skill points, so the more you earn, the more you can assign and the higher your power level will be. (We explain how to earn them quickly in the section below if you want to get ahead.)
The good news is that you don't have to worry.alsoa lot about Power Level when it comes to exploring the world itself. A region's power level indicates the strength of its enemies, but most activities in that region—riches, mysteries, artifacts, and the like—are still perfectly accessible. The enemy's power level determines both their resistance to your attacks and their strength, but most grunts can still be countered relatively easily, and kills still work, even when you're well below their level.
There are also different icons to show an enemy's power in relation to your own. Green means they're weaker than you, white means it's a fair fight, red means they're noticeably stronger than you, and a red skull means they're much stronger than you and you'll probably die in one hit.
So you won't be instantly hit when you enter an area at a much higher level than you are. But you will if a high level enemy manages to land a hit. In other words, you can explore the world freely, even facing Raids in some cases, but be alert when entering a more difficult region and be very careful to avoid tougher enemies like Zealots. If you're having difficulty, move to a region more in line with your own strength and come back later.
How to increase your power level in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
We established earlier that your power level is equal to the number of skill points you have allocated in the skill tree; more about that on our dedicated page onAssassin's Creed: Valhalla's Best Abilities- So, to increase your power level, you need to earn more skill points and allocate them.
So the question arises: how do you get skill points? There are two ways to do this.
How to get skill points to increase your power level
- Filling up the XP bar- when you earn enough XP, the blue diamond shape that appears in the top right corner of the screen, indicating your progress, will fill up and you will receive not one, but two XP points. In other words, every time you 'level up' by getting enough XP, you get two points instead of normal, presumably to incentivize you to experiment a little more in the skill tree. More information on how to earn fast XP just below.
- Complete offering altars, standing stone puzzles and get theExcalibur related pillsThese are puzzle-focused 'mysteries', world events that can be found in most regions of England and specifically grant you a single skill point for each one you complete.
The main thing, then, will be to earn XP.
How to get XP fast in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
There are several ways to earn XP, as you get it by completing almost any task in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, but the amount earned varies greatly from activity to activity. Below are the best and fastest, but not all, methods of winning it, from fastest to slowest.
- completing mysteries- The mysteries, the glowing blue dots on the map, vary greatly from one to another. In addition to the aforementioned offering altars and standing stones, these include unique miniature quests likedesert chalet,champions comb, oledecestrescire sauce, for example, or recurring as theRygjaflke fly agaric, which are generally very quick to complete and give similar 1000+ XP returns for the longer main story missions. Deleting them is apparently the fastest way to earn XP.
- Complete the main story missions- they give you a large amount of XP, usually over 1000, which is more or less guaranteed to fill your XP bar and get you two skill points.
- wealth collection- Opening chests grants around 450XP in our experience and they are usually found in the shiny gold wealth spots on the map. Hunting for wealth is a slower method than prioritizing Mysteries, but since you're getting other loot at the same time, it's a good two-for-one option.
- timing towers- climbing those eagle towers, timing and jumping will reward you with around 250XP in our experience. A decent portion, but since there are a limited number of them in the world, more of a recharge than a mandatory method.
- Other general activities- finally, things like killing enemies grant a very small amount of XP, discovering cities and docks or other points of interest as well, and fishing grants a minuscule amount that's not really worth mentioning, but technically exists.
The new DLC is here, and we explainhow to start the siege of parisas well as newromance optionsmitreasure places.If you're looking for endgame activities in the full game, we can explain how to getarc of Nodens,Excalibur,team thorand otherValhalla Armor Sets,Power level and how to get XP fast,Location of the Order of the Ancientsthat's allAssassin's Creed Valhalla Story Picks.If you are looking for things to collect and upgrade, we have listings onbest skillsmiLocations of books of knowledge.
What is the maximum level cap in Assassin's Creed: Valhalla?
As of the August 2021 update, the power level cap in Assassin's Creed is 430.
This is based on the number of abilities possible in the game, allowing you to exceed the highest recommended power in certain regions, which is 340.
This level cap gradually increases as new abilities are introduced to the game, such asMarch 2021 updatewhich introduced three abilities along with adding features like transmog.
Larger DLC expansions may see more significant increases. That being said, for now, we suspect that for most players, reaching level 400 will keep them more than busy.